Eczema is a term used to refer to a group of medical conditions that make your skin become irritated.
Eczema is a chronic skin disorder common in America. Over 30 million Americans currently suffer from eczema (1). Eczema affects people irrespective of their age. However, this skin disorder occurs more in infants than adults. Eczema affects about 20% of infants and 3% of children and adults in America (2).
Eczema affects a number of body parts. People get infected by eczema on legs, back of knees and elbows, hands, face, ankles, neck, etc.
Symptoms of Eczema
Some of the symptoms you should look out for on your skin to know if you have eczema include:
- Dry skin
- Constant itching
- Crusted sores
- Dark patches on your skin
Do you want to know what causes eczema right?
Well, there is no exact cause of eczema. Many researchers say eczema occurs as a result of the overactive reaction or response of your body’s immune system to a supposed irritant (3). It can also be hereditary. It is prominent in families that have a history of asthma or other allergies. Sweating and emotional stress is also factors that may lead to eczema.
The outbreak of eczema is usually acute or chronic but it is not contagious. If you do not treat eczema, it can make you so uncomfortable. So I guess you can’t wait to find out how to cure eczema. “Although there is no cure”, with the right treatment, you can control eczema.
You can get medicines for eczema readily available at the market. However, most of them contain chemicals and may worsen its symptoms. Given that, there is an alternative way of controlling eczema, which is making use of natural ingredients for treating eczema.
You can use these natural ingredients to prepare home remedies. These home remedies can help you to get rid of eczema on face and other affected areas of your skin.
I have compiled a list of the 7 most effective home remedies for eczema relief. You can make these remedies with natural ingredients. You will discover the ingredients and method of preparation of each of these remedies.
How to Cure Eczema Permanently – 7 Home Remedies for Eczema
The anti-inflammatory property of cucumber makes it one of the most effective cures for eczema. Cucumbers also have a high water content which also helps to control eczema.
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- Take 1 cucumber and cut it into thin slices.
- Soak the slices in water for 1-2 hours.
- Strain the water and apply on the affected area of your skin.
- Leave it to dry. Then rinse off using warm water.
- Repeat 3-4 times a day for until you get your desired result.
- Alternatively, after cutting the cucumber put the slices in a refrigerator and leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Place the cucumber slices on the affected areas of your skin for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat 3-4 times every day until you achieve your desired result.
2. Oatmeal for Eczema Cure
The anti-inflammatory, anti-irritating and soothing properties of oatmeal make it effective for treating eczema and its symptoms. It helps to reduce itching and pain associated with eczema. Oatmeal also contains saponins which aid the natural cleansing of skin pores.
Oatmeal is also a great option for a bath. It works best for treating eczema when you finely grind it. You can also refer to finely ground oatmeal as colloidal oatmeal.
- Colloidal Oatmeal
- Clean towel
- Pour 1-2 cups of colloidal oatmeal into a bathtub filled with warm water.
- Leave it to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Have a warm bath.
- Gently dry your skin using a clean towel.
- You can rub a mild moisturizer on your skin afterward.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of colloidal oatmeal and 1 tablespoon of milk (preferably cold milk) in a bowl to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on affected areas of your skin, rubbing gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Leave paste for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off using cool water.
- Repeat either of these home remedies for eczema 3-4 times every week till you achieve desired results.
3. Coconut Oil for Eczema
Apply coconut oil on the area of your skin affected by eczema for quick results. Coconut oil is unarguably one of the most popular home remedies for eczema. It is anti-bacterial in nature so it is very effective for preventing and treating infections. It also helps to moisturize your skin making it less prone to dryness or cracking. Also, the healthy nutrients and vitamins in coconut oil help in combating itchiness and soothing your skin.
You can include coconut oil in your diet or use it topically. It is effective both ways. To achieve desired results, use unrefined coconut oil.
- Rub it directly on the affected area of your skin. It will instantly give you relief from itching and pain.
- Repeat every day till symptoms disappear.
- Alternatively, you can consume 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil every day to get rid of eczema symptoms on your skin.
- You can swallow it directly or add it to your meals.
4. Tea Tree Oil for Eczema
This oil is a popular natural relief ingredient for skin-related diseases. It has antiseptic, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that combat skin inflammation and irritation. Try adding tea tree oil to your skin products like shampoos and body washes for effective results.
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Store the mixture in a sealed container.
- Apply to the areas of your body affected by eczema 2 times a day until symptoms disappear.
Another effective and popular home remedy for eczema is chamomile. It contains flavonoids that are anti-inflammatory in nature. Chamomile reduces the occurrence of itching, redness, inflammation, and swelling.
- 1 tablespoon of dry chamomile flowers
- A clean towel
- Pour 1 tablespoon of dry chamomile flowers into a cup of boiling water.
- Steep it for about 15 minutes.
- Strain mixture and leave it to cool.
- Use a clean towel to apply the mixture on affected areas of your skin.
- Repeat this treatment 3 times every day until symptoms disappear.
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil with a few drops of chamomile essential oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas of your skin and rub gently for 5-10 minutes. Repeat 2 times a day until you achieve desired results.
6. Epsom Salt Baths
Epsom salt is one of the most popular soothing home remedies for eczema and other skin conditions. It contains magnesium sulphate which has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing inflammation and relieving itching. Epsom salt also helps in removing toxins from your body.
People who have diabetes, high blood pressure or heart problems should not use Epsom salt baths. It is dangerous to their health if ingested.So be careful when using it. You should consult your doctor to know which of the home remedies for eczema is beneficial or dangerous to your health.
- Epsom salt
- Warm water
- Lavender essential oil
- A clean towel
- Pour 1-2 cups of Epsom salt into a bathtub already filled with warm water.
- Add 15-20 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Relax in the tub for 15-20 minutes.
- Use a clean towel to dry your skin and apply your favorite moisturizer.
- Repeat 3 times every week till symptoms subside.
7. Aloe Vera Leaves
The skin-friendly properties found in an aloe Vera leaf make it one of the most effective home remedies for eczema treatment. Its anti-inflammatory property helps to soothe the itching and burning sensation that comes with eczema. The antimicrobial property of aloe Vera helps to prevent subsequent skin infection. Aloe Vera also helps to moisturize and hydrate your skin.
- Aloe Vera leaf
- Vitamin E oil
- Extract the gel from a freshly cut aloe Vera leaf.
- Add some drops of vitamin E oil to the gel and mix.
- Apply mixture directly on affected parts of your skin.
- Leave it to dry then rinse off using warm water.
- Repeat 2 times a day till you start seeing results.
Reference : www.blackdiamondbuzz.com